What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded on your computer through web pages. They are tools that play an essential role in providing numerous services of the information society. Among other things, they allow a web page to store and retrieve information about a user’s browsing habits or their computer, and depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on who manages the domain from where the cookies are sent and processes the data obtained, two types can be distinguished:
- First-party cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the requested service is provided by the user.
- Third-party cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
In the event that cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they cannot be considered as first-party cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the period of time they remain stored in the client’s browser, which can be:
- Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only of interest to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of purchased products).
- Persistent cookies: the data remains stored on the device and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the cookie’s controller, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies based on the purpose for which the obtained data is processed:
- Technical cookies: those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist, such as controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted access parts, remembering the items that make up an order, carrying out the purchase process of an order, making the request for registration or participation in an event, using security elements during navigation, storing contents for the dissemination of videos or sound or sharing contents through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: allow the user to access the service with certain pre-defined general characteristics based on a series of criteria on the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which they access the service, the regional configuration from which they access the service, etc.
- Analytical cookies: allow the entity responsible for them to track and analyze the behavior of users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of websites, applications or platforms, and to create browsing profiles of users of such sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of the usage data made by users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: allow the most efficient management of advertising spaces.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: store information on the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows for the development of a specific profile to show advertising based on it.
Disabling and deleting cookies
You have the option to allow, block, or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer. By deactivating cookies, some of the available services may stop working. The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but it can usually be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also consult the browser’s Help menu, where you can find instructions. The user can choose at any time which cookies they want to work on this website.
You can allow, block or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer:
In addition, you can also manage the cookie store in your browser through tools such as the following:
Below are the cookies being used on this portal as well as their typology and function:
With this information, the following actions can be carried out:
- Accept cookies. This notice will not be displayed again when accessing any page of the portal during the current session.
- Close. The notice is hidden on the current page.